Mar 8, 2013

Kane Chronicles/Heroes of Olympus Fanfiction by Me (Chapter 3)



Chapter 3

At that moment it felt like the weight of the world had been lifted from my shoulders.
Phew. He didn’t mean magicians.

But what were demigods? I had never heard the word before! Before I could say anything, Carter stepped in.

“What are demigods? I mean, who?”

“I probably shouldn’t be telling this to mortals,” said Grover, “but demigods are half-bloods. They’re only half mortal.”

“And half…?”

“Half… god.”

Both Carter’s and my jaw dropped to the floor.

“Like… Egyptian god?” I asked cautiously. “Ra, Horus, Isis…?”

Grover looked confused for a moment. “Oh, sorry. I know what you mean now.” He laughed nervously. “Wrong culture. I’m talking about Greek gods. Zeus, Poseidon, Athena… Does that ring a bell?”

I shook my head, but Carter nodded. “I know a few things about them. You know, I read about them a little bit. But I don’t know that much.”

Before Grover could respond, I cut in. “Hey, I get that you’re looking for this Percy Jackson fellow and demigod people and all, but you still aren’t telling us how exactly you ended up in my bedroom!”

Grover looked intimidated for a moment. I felt kind of bad telling him off, but what else was I supposed to do? Let some random goat man into my house?

“But anyway, the reason I’m here: I sensed some powerful forces here. I thought maybe it was the aura of a very strong demigod. But looking at you now, you don’t really seem like 
the type…”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I demanded.

“Nothing, nothing!” Grover replied quickly and frantically. I smirked with satisfaction.

“Look dude,” Carter said, “I think you found the wrong people here. We are most certainly not demigods.”

“You never know,” Grover said. “Demigods usually don’t. Do you have two parents?”

“No, goat boy,” I said. “We don’t have any. Goodbye!” I proceeded to give him a small push.

“Hey!” He sounded offended. “I didn’t mean to be nosy at all! I just wanted to know!”

“Listen, bubba. We had two parents. They died. Neither of them was a Greek god.  Kay? Good. Buh-bye!” I began to shove him back to the window.

“Sadie!” Carter exclaimed. “What are you thinking? Give Grover a chance!”

“No!” I said. “He’s crossed the line!”

Carter scoffed and pulled Grover out of my grip. “Sorry about that,” he said. “Sadie can get a bit… touchy. It’s nothing personal.”

Grover brushed off his clothing. “Nah, man. She’s right. I should be going.” He began to mount the pegasus.

“Wait!” Carter yelled.

Grover froze. “What?”

“If we were… demigods, what would you do with us?”

He walked up to Carter. “Now, if I tell you two this, you can’t tell anyone, okay?”

Carter nodded, then looked expectantly at me. I rolled my eyes and nodded also.

Grover took a shaky breath. “I would take you to… a camp,” he said. “This…camp is meant training demigods to use their powers properly, and protecting them.”

Carter hesitated. “Protect them…” he scratched his head. “Protect them from what?”

Grover pretended he didn’t hear that. “Well! I’d better be going then!” he exclaimed quickly. As he mounted Blackjack and prepared to take off, I did what was probably the stupidest thing that I’ve ever done. (And trust me, I’ve done some pretty stupid things.)

I mounted the horse.

“Sadie!” Carter yelled.

“Quick! Jump on!” I screamed back.

I looked back. Carter was standing there, simply dumbfounded. I could tell that he wasn't going to move; I’d have to leave him behind. Honestly, sometimes that boy can be a bloody chicken. “I’ll be back for dinner!” I yelled.

The pegasus took flight, hopefully moving toward this mysterious camp. I watched Brooklyn House get smaller and smaller as we rode off in the distance. Grover looked back, gasped, and then clutched his chest, like he’d just realized what happened. “What are you doing here?!”

I grinned and gave him a slight nudge. "You're stuck with me now, goat boy."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts go here...