Jan 18, 2013

Can the makers of the Sea of Monsters (movie) still salvage the plot of the series?

Warning! May contain Lightning Thief, Sea of Monsters, and Battle of the Labyrinth spoilers!

 Whoa! I can't believe it's been over a week since my last post! I've been so hard at work on this one, and at studying for midterm exams, that I didn't even notice how long it had been since I had actually published a post. Now, before I begin my rambling, I'd like to share with you this amazing new blog: percyjacksonforlife.blogspot.com. I myself am guilty of stalking it, and I look at its new posts every day. I love this blog a LOT, and if you'd like to read a blog that has more frequent posts (it's not really hard to beat me on that), this is perfect! (You know, not that it's not already perfect) It is, by far, my favorite blog, and it's the best Percy Jackson blog I've seen. Go check it out!

 Now, back to topic. As you all [should] know, the movie adaptation of The Sea of Monsters wrapped filming last summer and is set for release later this year (August 16th, 2013). I'm sure that plenty of you are frustrated because of the mess that they called The Lightning Thief. Everyone that I talk to has a different stance on it, but the one thing that everyone seems to agree on is that they'll definitely be seeing the sequel. Some say that it's just for laughs, but most say that they honestly want to see what the makers of the movie will do with what they have. The real question is: Can the overall series plot still be salvaged? I've been thinking a lot about this. These are my thoughts on the matter.

 First, let's consider the differences in the movie. The big one is definitely age difference (No, Annabeth fans, it's NOT hair color. That's already been fixed.), which, face it, is not able to be fixed. Obviously, the prophecies will have to be reworded, especially the great prophecy. (Percy looks way over sixteen already, and it's only the second movie!) Of course, that's providing that they choose to include those.

 The second biggest difference is the entire plot, but probably even more importantly, Luke's [movie] death. How is Luke going to become Kronos if he's dead? Worry not, fellow demigods! Jake Abel has been included in the SoM cast listing, and there are photos of him on-set. Apparently he's magically alive again! I've heard a theory about how they may explain him being alive, and also Kronos, and I pretty much agree with it. Someone (I can't give credit, because this was a while ago) proposed the idea that Luke could have made a special deal with Kronos to let Kronos merge with him later in the series as he entered the Underworld, giving Luke a longer lifespan and the power to overthrow the gods and build a new world, like Luke wanted. This is also a way of introducing Kronos to the movie's viewers.

 Another thing: Thalia. She wasn't even MENTIONED in the first movie! (They actually did bring her up, but the scene was later cut, which really baffles me.) Thalia has been cast, and she will be in the movie, but how are they going to explain a daughter of Zeus randomly popping up from a tree? My guess is that she will be mentioned at some point in the movie, and then she'll come back to life in the end. That's also when the credits will most likely start to roll... Cliffhangers keep people watching future movies!

 The next big factor: Clarisse. I feel like movie Annabeth was a combination of book Annabeth and book Clarisse. It's almost scary. O_O Anyways, Leven Rambin (AKA Glimmer from the Hunger Games) landed the role of her, and I think that she can pull it off. Just look at her hostile role in The Hunger Games: someone with a role like that makes a perfect Clarisse! One thing that I'm wondering though, is how we're going to meet movie Clarisse, and if she'll be any different than book Clarisse. Personally, I find the whole noticing-them-while-they're-in-or-practicing-for-battle thing to be really tiresome, so I hope that it's not how she shows up, but it's possible. We may be introduced to her as a camper that Percy is already familiar with; after all, there was still summer left after The Lightning Thief took place, and SoM takes place almost a full year later. It could just be Percy going back to camp and bumping into her. Actually, I'm mostly leaning toward this, because it makes the most sense (to me, at least).

 Something else that we weren't introduced to in the first movie was the concept of demigod dreams and their power and truth value. We all know that Percy's dreams, and Grover and Percy's empathy link, were what kept Percy informed of Grover's whereabouts and well-being. This will have to be introduced or omitted from the movie... Introduced would probably be the best choice.

 If they end up following what I just outlined (which is highly unlikely, actually--these are just hunches/ideas), then most, or even all, of the problems should be ironed out, and they could most likely go on with the series with very few problems. There are still a lot more improving and changes to be done than what I outlined. We'll just have to see what the movie people do with it!

4 comments:

  1. Who did they cast as Thalia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gods, I just looked at the IMDb page of the movie and it says they cast someone for the roles of younger Annabeth, Thalia and Luke! This means they will be including their story!!! I'm so exited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also noticed that some of the gods will be introduced such as Mr. D and Hermes. I think I'll go see it, but I don't think they will ever be as good as the books are.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts go here...